Monday, June 22, 2009

As Soft as a Placenta

Well things have been going great here. Yesterday we finally got to leave the convent and explore the city of Dar es Salaam. I really didn't know what to expect. My initial thought was that it was going to be more of a underdeveloped city being that I am in Africa. Before I left, however, people insisted "No, it's going to be fine. There's going to be McDonald's and Starbucks, being that it is the largest city in the country. They couldn't have been more wrong.

The city itself reminded me of some Mexican cities that I have been to before; very impoverished, homeless people on the street begging for money, very unkept roads. For the most part, the city was very run down. Granted, it was a Sunday, and most things tended to be closed, it was still a sad sight to see.

After we had gone though the city's street shops, very similar to Mexican street vendors and such, we had lunch at a nice place. I had a toasted sub, which was alright. But let me get to the good part.

After lunch the PCVs (Peace Corps Volunteers) who were helping us out, took us all to this beach resort just outside of Dar. This was amazing.

It had white sandy beaches, little cabana tables, a bar, music and of course, the Indian Ocean. I couldn't have been more stoked. We all immediately ran into the ocean and began to frolic for the next couple of hours. The water was so nice and so warm, it was a great escape to what we had been enduring.

We ate, drank and hung out for the rest of the day. It was very surreal because we were all there ready to start such a huge adventure in our lives. We all had no idea what was to come for the next 2 years. It was one of the moment's in life that you never want to forget.

Tonight we are packing up and tomorrow morning are heading out to our home-stays. I found out who my parents are, but I have no idea if they have children or not. I am hoping that they do, not only to pass the time but I heard that hanging out with the kids is the best way to learn Swahili because they are so excited and enthusiastic about teaching it to you.

I probably won't be by a computer for a couple weeks, so this might be my last post for a while. I'll try and get to one, but you never know how that'll go.

It's weird to think that I have only been here for a week. We have learned so much already about this country and it's culture. I can't imagine what the next 9 weeks of training is going to be like.

I can't express enough how much of an amazing time I am having and I know this is only the tip of the iceberg. I can't wait to update you guys on my new family and village!

As always, here are some pics of the last couple days.


Who doesn't love placenta lotion?

A look at all the cabanas we were sitting in.


Did I mention I rode a camel?


Taking it all in.


The PCTs.
Cheers,
Jayce

3 comments:

  1. Jayce!

    The beaches look amazing :) What a great way to start off the beginning of this adventure!

    Can't wait to hear about the host family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go figure it out...

    12,500.00 TZS = 9.54 USD

    That's an expensive bottle of lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude come on...you look like you are just putting all of your dead weight on those two ladies. And by by dead weight, there is nothing dead about it, two bills!

    Sorry man, had to get my last two bills joke in before it's too late...

    ReplyDelete