Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tanz, Tanz, Revolution!

Well boys and girls, its about that time!

I'm writing my last blog post from the states. Staging went great, all the forms got approved and we are good to go, if anyone knows my situation, that's saying a lot!

Out of our 36 person training class, 6 of us are from Seattle. What the EFF! The lady running our staging was saying that's unheard of. My roommate for the weekend was Keith. And sure enough, he lived in Greenlake all last year, again, what the EFF!

The people all seem pretty cool, there's a good amount of hippie-type people, which should be good because I'll probably depend on them to show me how to plant seeds, haha. There's also a good amount of recent college grads, some around 30, and one older couple, I'm not sure how old.

So I'm sitting here in my hotel room with my roommate waiting to leave. And we're trying to wrap our heads around our schedule tomorrow. We meet at 6:30am, and get tons of shots at 7:30. Then drive to the airport.

Drive to airport- 4 hours
Wait for flight- 2 hours
Fly to Amsterdam- 7 hours
Wait in Amsterdam- 3 hours
Fly to Kilimanjaro airport- 10.5 hours
Wait in Kilimanjaro airport- 1 hour
Fly to Dar Es Salaam- 1 hour

estimated time- 28.5 hours

So that's my day tomorrow. Let's hope I don't go crazy.

Here are some quick pics to keep you guys satisfied...


My training class. Half health, half environmental.


Last dinner in the United States. Some people ordered steak, some crab cakes, I ordered the garlic chicken. Good thinking because when's the next time I'm going to have chicken, beans and rice!? Smart.


Before.


After.

I cannot wait to get this adventure started. It is going to be such an amazing experience. The people I have met are great, and I think there's a good group of people that I can really get along with. Also there are people who speak worse Swahili than me, so I'm already off to a good start!

I am so happy and I can't wait to update you guys from in-country. I probably wont be able to update my blog for a couple weeks but just know I am thinking about you guys and having the time of my life!

Cheers,
Jayce
207

3 comments:

  1. Gramma & Grampa K.June 15, 2009 at 9:45 AM

    That's a great start for all of us to follow you on this adventure, Jayce. Love seeing the pictures, too. You are in our thoughts and prayers so take care and we'll be looking forward to the next blog...whenever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog...like the title. We will definitely be following your posts. Weird so many from Seattle, and I recognized Ruth! She was in my friend's wedding. Small world! Best luck in the days to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic stuff, Jayce. Looking forward to following along and seeing the big adventure play out.

    When you get situated be sure to post your contact info so we can get stuff to you.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete