Friday, June 26, 2009

Bats in the Bellfree

There were several times that we had chances to speak with current Peace Corps Volunteers over the last couple weeks. The one thing I always asked was if there was a specific time that they just sat back and said, "Wow, I really am in Africa." To which there was a varied response; some good some bad. Some people cried because they couldn't speak to their host family, some struggled with washing clothes in a bucket or they were homesick. Some when they saw a lion, or an elephant for the first time did it really hit them that they were living in Africa. My realization came all too soon.

So I have been here for a couple days and I have been putting off pooping in a hole. The place we stayed at last week had western toilets, so I would always just go in my room. No big deal. But here at the homestay we don't have that luxury, it is literally a hole in the ground. So last night I proceed to take my first of many, many bucket baths. It is pretty much just a bucket of warm water and a bar of soap, nothing out of the ordinary. So this bathing takes place in the "bathroom." A roofless room on the side of the house with a door made out of palm frawns. The evening was particularly amazing, the stars here are beyond words, I don't know if it has to do with less pollution, or lack of electricity, or whatever, but the night sky is so sick.

Anyways, so here I am, getting naked, starting my bucket bath. I move the cover off the poo-hole because I figured since I was in there I might as well releave myself. I decided that tonight was the night I was going to become a man and poop in a hole. I begin to pee and since im doing this all by flashlight I realize this hole is pretty intense. It's not just a hole into dirt, but a hole that goes down into what looks like a big ass cavern. I admire the hole and begin to prepare myself for my first ever poop in the wild. Just as I am about to squat over the hole... A BAT FLYS OUT@! Yes, the hole I am supposed to be squatting over! A fucking bat. I quickly cover the hole, as to prevent further creatures from coming out, Turns out it couldn't have been more of a mistake. The bat lived down there and wanted to get back in, but couldn't because I covered the hole! He just keeps swooping in at me trying to get back in. All the while, I am freaking out, because other than my flashlight it is pitch black, all I can see/hear is a screaching bat swooping in for the kill.

So here I am, completely naked, covered in soap suds, swatting and screaming at a rabid homeless bat in the middle of nowhere. All while trying to bathe from a bucket and poop in a hole!

I don't know what else to say other than, "Wow, I really am in Africa."


Cheers,
Jayce

12 comments:

  1. Jayce, found your village on google earth, looks like an awesome area. Jungle, rivers and lakes.
    That Bat story is classic.
    "Classic Jayce" (shaking shoulders)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're loving your posts, Jayce. It's just like being there but glad we're not. We laughed out loud picturing the bat experience! Hope you keep having fun but with your attitude we're sure you will. Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying and people are wondering what's wrong with me here at work. Awesome story.

    Keep 'em coming (next time with clothes on).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I thought was more funny... your story or reading Carly's "Classic Jayce" comment. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a friend of your father and he sent me your link. I been reading your post and this one was the best. I hope everything is going great and good luck out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still laughing at the picture you have painted. My daughter Kate is also in Tanzania. Her second night,she had a rat jump into her bed..with her in it. I thought to myself, as she was screaming and crying..See you next week.She has finished her first year and has adjusted to all of it. Go figure..We just spent two weeks with her..a few days in the Vilage..We now get how the people love you all and life just doesn't get any better.So stay safe,enjoy your time and I look forward to reading more adventures.By the way, I never pooped in the hole....so good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm laughing so hard right now, wheezing might be more accurate. Miss you, sounds like you are having an amazing time! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erika sent me your link. What a great story to start the morning with. Sounds like you've having quite an adventure. Keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahaha! Reminds me of my first weeks in Cameroon... absolutely ridiculous... totally lost. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check please...

    You can stop writing now. Nothing you write in the next two years will top this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG. amazing. Read this out loud to the Don and Patty P. Mama would like to know if you ever got the job done? haha.
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete