Thursday, July 2, 2009

Splat on a Hot Tin Roof

Well I finally realized why this place is so ridiculously green and beautiful, when it rains, it freakin pours!

Our house is the typical mud hut with clay walls and high vaulted ceilings. The rooms however don't have their own roof, that is its just one big building with walls separating each other. I don't know if I am explaining it well but I could essentially stand on my table and look over the wall into the other room. Talk about privacy. That means that whenever anyone in the house does ANYTHING, you hear it. Its just like they're in the room with you. There are times in the middle of the night freaking out because I think someone or something is in my room, turns out that they are either in another room or outside because of course, we don't have windows, just screens separating us from the elements.

Anyways the common material used for roofing are these wavy metal sheets of like aluminum or tin. At night, when it starts to rain, you would not believe the sounds that sucker makes. The sound just bellows through the entire house since it is all one big open room. Just when you think it can't get any louder, it does. I don't know if its just to roof or if its ridiculous rain, but man it is louder than any rain I have ever heard. It's nuts.

Anyways, as far as life goes, same ol' same ol'. I keep trying to think of cool stuff that happens but nothing is that out of the ordinary. School just sucks the life out of you and when you think you are done with Swahili, and you are going home to take a break, its just right back into the fray. The Swahili never stops. Taxing at times, but in the end will be worth it.

The internet I have here is about an hour walk away. Which is fine, but I don't know how often I'll be able to post since we only have time to go on Sundays. I'll do what I can. I'll try to post pics but if the internet is too slow I'll have to wait until I find somewhere better, which could be a while. I'll try and figure things out.

Cheers,
Jayce

1 comment:

  1. Jayce - you don't know me, but I was a PCV who trained in Morogoro & was placed in Njombe. I'm back in the States now, but I just wanted to say that I totally understand the rain on the roof! My host family's house was similar - tin roof, but no ceilings. I hated hearing my family up in the mornings when I wanted to sleep - or the roosters outside my window! The rain, however, was outrageously loud. It was hard to explain to family in the US how loud it really was - all conversations came to an end until the rain ended because you could barely hear yourself think! It did drown out my family talking and the roosters in the mornings, though! Learning the Kis was the hardest and most exhausting thing I ever did - I feel your pain! No one else at home will ever understand this part of your life, but it doesn't really matter. Have a great time!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete