Saturday, July 25, 2009

Facts of Life

So here is a list of things that I have been getting used to in my months here in Tanzania. I like to call them my Facts of Life:

Bathroom:
-Squatting
-Watching and aiming my poop into a hole, I like to call it target practice
-Constantly being on the lookout for bug or flys trying to get up your who-ha
-Rationing toilet paper
-Using my left hand when in a pinch
-Trying not to use my left hand for anything else during the day because of the above

Sleeping:
-Sleeping on a bed that caves into the middle
-Listening to the calming sounds of the terrential downpours on my tin roof
-Hearing the family chit-chat until the wee hours of the night
-Hearing the family chit-chat in the wee hours of the morning
-Waking up to roosters, donkeys, chickens, cows and dogs EVERY morning
-Waking up with a ton of bug bites even though I sleep under a net
-Peeing in a bottle because I am not allowed to leave the house at night

Eating:
-Eating dinner at 8pm
-Using only my right hand
-Washing that hand with dirty water they think is clean
-Eating a combination of beans & rice or rice & beans
-Eating cold spaghetti noodles with Katchup they think is pasta sauce (I said I liked tomato sauce on my pasta noodles, be careful what you wish for)

Everyday:
-A never ending assault of greetings from the villagers

These are my facts of life. There will be many more to come.


Cheers,
Jayce

No comments:

Post a Comment