Saturday, July 25, 2009

Updates

So I don't know how long I've been here, but I think its been about 7 weeks.

Time is flying by. Training is over on August 19th when we get sworn in, it is coming faster than I think.

Here are some updates, last weekend we went to Pangani beach for a weekend getaway for all the PCTs. Such an awesome place, if anyone wants to google Mkoma Bay Resort, in Pangani beach, its nuts.

The place is owned by a former Peace Corps worker so she hooked up a good price and everything. Great atmosphere and everything, and honestly who can complain when they sit in a hammock drinking a cocktail by day and are skinny dipping in the Indian Ocean by night.

All in all the weekend was a blast, a great getaway from the bootcamp our lives have been for the last couple months. Training sucks, but we'll all get through it.

We took our exams to see how our Swahili ranked. On the written exam the highest score was a 95. I got a 90. So I was pretty stoked with that. And on the verbal portion, the oral interview, I got an intermediate-mid raiting. Which is all you need to be sworn in. I think I am pretty good compared to everyone else so I think I will be laying off the books and flash cards for the next couple weeks, I have been on a Swahili overload and it'll be good to just focus on hanging out with my family the last couple weeks at site and not have to worry about cramming new verbs into my head.

Last thing. This next week is Shadow Week. It is where we get to travel to stay with a current PCV for a couple days and kick it and see what real PCV life is like. A highlight of the training process. They announced our sites and I am heading to visit someone in Morogoro (Again another badass place you need to google.) So I am pumped. Me and another trainee, Julie, are staying with this guy named Justin or something, who cares. Hope hes cool and we have a great time. I am just looking forward to the road trip across TZ. Holler!

Okay I guess one more last thing. This coming Sat is when we find out our site announcments. This is the big day where they reveal where everyone is going to be placed for the next 2 years. I could not be more stoked. That's a week from today. The day after we find out is Shadow Week, and the we ahve like 1 more week and its game time.

Hopefully I'll have internet access next weekend but if not try and give me a holler on my cell phone and I'll keep you posted!

Take it easy guys, I got a crazy couple of weeks ahead.

Cheers,
Jayce

No comments:

Post a Comment