Friday, September 4, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

The Peace Corps has really given me a chance to evaluate how I view charity work around the globe. At first I would see someone coming to Africa and digging a well or planting trees and think so highly.

But what I realize now that there is such a difference between developing sustainable improvements, as opposed to one time hand-outs. Not good or bad, just different.

Granted, the acts these people do are awesome and I do not want to talk down about them but at the same time I can see how simply handing out money or food only forces the culture to be dependant upon outside sources rather than looking at what they can do to be sustainable and successful on their own.

That brings me to the other day.

I am sitting in my house and get a knock on my door. A young girl is there, small, dirty and helpless, and begins to start mumbling something. I can't understand her and think it is just because of my shitty Swahili. I keep asking her what she wants and she motions to food and money with her hands. I'm confused. I realize what is going on when her speaking isn't Swahili at all. It turns out that the girl is deaf!

I keep saying no, trying to convey my message without words until the girl drops to her knees and clutches onto my legs. Begging me for anything I can give her.

This leads me to my dilemma.

Do I give this child money? Food? Would this be a kind gesture or simply promoting the dependance the culture has on others. Is this situation different because shes a child? Because shes deaf? Will I live with the reputaion of the American who can hand out gifts whenever and have many more visitors in the future? Or is it just the right thing to do?

Here I am with a young deaf child on the ground, grasping my legs and begging for help.

What do you do?


Cheers,
Jayce

1 comment:

  1. Teach her to fish. You will have fed her for the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete