Saturday, September 5, 2009

Facts of life Part Deux

-I have now become a ruthless MacGyver type person saving anything and everything I find in order to use later. If we go to a restaurant I say "Oh isn't that weird? They wrap the silverwear in toilet paper!" And I quickly grab the napkins and stuff them in my pocket. Or when I finish boiling my eggs in the morning I look and the water and am like,"I could use that for a hot bath." It nuts...

-When meeting people and writing down their names, you can usually right down what clothes they are wearing as well because odds are they will wear the same clothes very soon. Besides being an American, I am sure I am known as the guy who wears khakis and a green button up because that is pretty much what I wear every day.

-People in Tanzania think you are way older than you are. I am constantly told I look 40. They say it is because I have a beard, I say its because of my hairline. Damn...

-People here don't really know what google is. If you encounter someone with an email address, you can bet its either hotmail, or yahoo becuase that was probably the first thing they had ever heard about the internet. Once TZs are set in their ways, it is pretty difficult to change it.

Thats all I got for now. Take it easy folks...


Cheers,
Jayce

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    So maybe this is a little strange but I am a recent RPCV from Azerbaijan and I just moved to Tanzania. I thought it may be interesting if to get the perspective from PCVs out here -- since you one each PC experience is so different. My email adress is heymagda@gmail.com
    --Magda

    ReplyDelete