Saturday, September 5, 2009

Updates...

So life is gettin in to the swing of things. I'm really liking my village, though I don't really have any friends. The first 3 months at site for Peace Corps is supposed to focus soley on learning the language, integrating into the culture of the village, and analyzing what you think you will be able to do over the next 2 years to help.

Right now there is a lot of free time. I'm meeting villagers, studying Swahili, getting a lay of the land, but still find myself sitting in my room with nothing to do. In the past 2 weeks I have read 3 books! Who said I wouldn't have time to learn guitar!?

In my home-stay village I was a celebrity. I was in the middle of town and there were kids everywhere screaming my name. Always something to do. My village now is way different. I am in the health center grounds which is on the side of the village. There are no kids around me and rarely any random visitors.

With this free time leads to a lot of ups and downs. Sometimes I sit in my room and get pretty lonely. It's boring. And you have to find new things to do to either improve village life, your life, or just keep you occupied. Things get tough dealing with the isolation but you learn to deal with it. You think about what an awesome opportunity you have to do what so few people get to do.

Being on the outskirts of town means I just have to make a more concentrated effort to get out there and meet people. So it'll just take time until I get some peeps I can just kick it with.


Cheers,
Jayce

No comments:

Post a Comment